Jeune Afrique: King Mohammed VI Participation in Arab Summit Still Undecided
Rabat - The participation of King Mohammed VI in the upcoming Arab League Summit in Algeria remains officially unconfirmed, news magazine Jeune Afrique reported on Sunday.
The outlet reported that Moroccan Foreign Minister Nasser Bourita, who is currently in Algiers for the preparatory meeting of Arab foreign ministers, said that the King will decide “if the conditions for his participation are met.”
Bourita arrived in Algiers on Saturday, heading a Moroccan delegation to participate in the ministerial meeting.
Jeune Afrique had previously reported that the King would attend the summit, citing “well-informed” Algerian diplomatic sources.
The report, published on October 18, said the monarch would attend the summit accompanied by his son, Crown Prince Moulay Hassan.
Six Arab leaders are expected to miss the summit, taking place between November 1-2, including Saudi Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
The Moroccan delegation currently present in Algiers has already protested provocations by Algeria.
The use of a divided Moroccan map by an Algerian news outlet prompted protest and an official response from the Arab League, who confirmed that their official map does not show borders between countries.
In August 2021, Algiers unilaterally cut ties with its neighbor, accusing it of starting wildfires in the Kabylia region, accusations which were denied by Rabat.
Source: Morocco World News.